Gluten free. Dairy free. Egg free.
Ingredients (makes 20-24 biscuits)
2/3 cup Buckwheat flour
1/4 cup Almond meal
A pinch of Bicarb soda
1/4 Jap Pumpkin, cut in to wedges (skin on)
2 Tb Oil
1 tsp juice of lemon (or vinegar)
1 Tb Maple syrup
Pumpkin seeds for decoration
Icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees Celcius. Line baking tray with baking sheet.
- Roast pumpkin for 40-50 minutes or until soft. Cool on rack. Peel the skin off and cut into strips (for decoration later). Mash or blend the orange flesh until smooth.
- Combine buckwheat flour, almond meal and bicarb soda in a small bowl. Swirl to combine.
- In a larger bowl combine pureed pumpkin, oil, lemon juice (or vinegar) and maple syrup. Whisk to combine well. Add the dry ingredients and fold to just combine.
- Take a tablespoon of dough, roll in to golf-size ball, and press gently to flatten. Repeat until all dough is used. Place pumpkin seeds on the dough and press gently. Insert the pumpkin skin strips at the top end.
- Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Cool.
- Combine 2 Tb icing sugar with 2 Tb water. Mix well. Use a small folk or a skewer to draw the mouths on the cookie.