(Image courtesy: hasfit.com)
Not all fats are created equal. Having good amount of healthy fats will help you stay on top of your health goals - yes, even with weight loss.
Let's look at omega-3 fats.
Omega-3 fats are a collection of several healthy fats, including EPA and DHA from fish.
They protect you from:
A very recent study has even shown that omega-3's may protect against gastrointestinal disease!
So what foods are high in omega-3's?
- Oily fish (salmon, herring, sardine, mackerel)
- Linseeds (aka Flaxseeds)
- Macadamia nuts
- Soya beans and soy products
- Dark green vegetables (spinach, kale)
To boost your omega-3 intake:
- Sprinkle flaxseeds/linseeds on your breakfast cereal
- Snack on 2-3 walnuts for morning tea
- Enjoy avocado in your sandwich for lunch
- Snack on a handful of edamame beans for afternoon tea
- Try grilled salmon with green salad
Salad with nuts, broccoli, spinach and/or kale
Mussel (often in pots) with a slice of soy linseed bread
Grilled barramundi or salmon instead of steak
Tofu stir fry
(Image courtesy: bitofthegoodstuff.com)